Monday 8 June 2015

Training Week 6

Today we are back in the classroom. Last week our tour of Kingston included a stop at Cesar Picton's House and today we have been asked to deliver a lesson, suitable for our group of more advanced students, relating to his journey from Senegal to Kingston in 1761 and his subsequent life in England. 

The focus of our group's lesson was on listening and writing skills. Our students would listen to a video clip about Cesar Picton's life and then work in pairs to write the answers to some questions relating to what they had just heard. Our fellow volunteers had already taught some of the tricky vocabulary the students would need prior to our session. 




This was the first time for us teaching "on our feet" in front of a fairly large group. It was quite a daunting prospect, and once again, I was pleased that our preparation had been thorough. The session went smoothly and our students left with a page of model answers to compare with the work that they had completed.

The afternoon session kicked off with a most interesting challenge to translate a sheet of symbols into English. This was designed to demonstrate to us the many, often subconscious, skills we deploy when reading. Fascinating stuff!

Today it was my first time teaching. I had prepared a lesson with my group to talk about family. It was a 1:1 session, so I was a bit nervous as I knew I would be watched by the rest of my group and Emma, our teacher. But it wasn't as scary as I first thought, it was actually quite fun and I felt that I was not nervous at all. It was a good experience getting to teach about my own family which I think the student also enjoyed. After our teaching practice was over the students went home and we were given feedback. I was quite happy with my feedback and it really encouraged me to consider becoming a teacher in the future which is what I'm aiming for. Especially after experiencing my first time teaching properly with feedback by our teacher, I feel very motivated and I highly recommend anyone of any age to join LEAH.

No comments:

Post a Comment