Sunday 24 May 2015

Training week 4

Today is our second teaching practice day – and my first experience of teaching. Our groups are the same as last week and we are teaching beginner level students on a one to one basis. Today’s topics are to teach directions and facts about Kingston Museum. I have been asked to focus on Kingston Museum in my 20 minute lesson.

A quick whizz around the Museum after the class gave me lots of ideas for a lesson plan. I could talk about its location, its opening hours and what objects might you find in it. Then I had to think about how I could use creative audio and visual techniques to teach these points to a student who is new to English. After an hour or so at my computer, I had created a short role-play exercise and a couple of visual word games, which I thought would be helpful. I was pleased when the lesson ran smoothly, my student seemed to follow the lesson well and she was keen to visit the Museum herself the following week.


After lunch, once the students had left, we reconvened for a theory lesson with our tutor. Today’s subject is English Grammar and how we can structure a lesson to teach it well. This is an important skill and one that I will have to brush up on before sharing the pearls of my wisdom with students!



No comments:

Post a Comment